http://i.imgur.com/lFJfC4i.jpg

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My middle-aged birthday

I remember when I was in high school, I considered the 30's to be middle-aged, so I guess according to my own logic and calculations, I have been middle-aged for 3 years.  I have always been one in the past to throw my own birthday parties.  I never relied on anyone else to worry about my birthday because honestly who has time for that.  The past 2 years I just haven't had the desire or energy to really throw a party.  I just stopped caring...I guess that middle-aged laziness is kicking in. So to be honest, I had very low expectations for my birthday.  I have always believed that God shows his tender mercies through the love of others, and I was reminded of that this year.

My mom wanted to go to dinner and Monday night worked best for her, so I invited my sister Shantell and a couple of our friends: Mackenzie and Emily.  My mom also brought her roommate Maryanne.  I invited my good friend Jen from work, and I also invited a co-worker visiting our center for the week.  Her name was Brenda and she was fantastic.  I chose Thai food because I absolutely love Thai food.  My mom bought me a camping chair recliner because if I ever choose to camp, I will require to be cozy and comfortable (an air mattress was a previous gift from a previous year, all in the name of comfort).  Emily got me a Zupas gift card and 2 CD's of comedians I love.  Shantell gave me a Bo Jackson book (I may have had a small obsession as a little girl), a new beach towel, and a shower curtain of the world map.  The last one is probably the most peculiar, but it was on my list.  Why not get more education of our great earth while in the bathroom?  It just makes sense!  We had a great night with a lot of laughs and conversation!  Birthday week starting off good!


Mom, Me, Jen, Shantell, Mackenzie, Emily, Brenda, MaryAnne


Tuesday night my roommates and I went out for Nelson's Frozen Custard, which is my new sweet tooth obsession!  I was very grateful to my roommate Aubrey who arranged the night of roommate bonding!  It was so thoughtful of her to arrange.   I couldn't help but think how much I appreciate my roommates and enjoy the moments we all get together, which are too few.

My team was great and decorated my desk and brought cake.  I love my team!  I also went to lunch with my old boss Deanna Ferdig and my old TL co-workers Lydia Christiansen and Cathy Clark.  We all used to work in the same department together and I have such fond memories with them, so it felt good to all go to lunch together again. 




About 1 1/2 weeks prior to my bday, my good friend Jen Erekson had asked me if I had plans on my bday.  I told her I didn't, so she suggested we do dinner.  In that moment, I felt grateful that she even remembered my birthday and wanted to do something on the actual day, which at the time was completely free.  Being the chronic inviter that I am, I invited some of my closest friends through the years.  My friends and I arrived at the restaurant around the same time, so we chatted by the doors.  I just assumed Jen was fashionably late.  After a couple minutes of talking, Jen comes walking from inside the restaurant saying we already had a table.  I go walking up to the table and see our other work friend Lydia sitting there.  Turns out Jen had planned a surprise dinner for me with some of my closest work friends, but unfortunately, all but Lydia either weren't able to make it or had something come up last minute.  Our other friend Leticia also stopped by for a bit.  Here comes the cheesiness:  my heard felt immediately overwhelmed with gratitude for how considerate and thoughtful it was for Jen to plan something for me.  We all have a lot on our plates, and our efforts are usually spent taking care of our own lives and agendas, so for her to plan a surprise really touched me.  We had a great dinner and I laughed harder than I had in a long time.  Most people there were from different time periods in my life and didn't necessarily know each other, but everyone got along great!  

My friend Kira McDonald drove up from Provo.  She has been my friend for around 9 years.  My friends Kelli and Matt came.  Kelli was my first friend when I moved to Salt Lake 7 years ago.  Angela Hanks also came.  She is one of my good friends from my Sugarhouse singles ward and have been friends for 5 years.   Lydia and Jen are both friends from work and have been around for 3-4 years. 

The first thing I did when I got home that night was kneel down by my bed and say a prayer of gratitude for all the great people in my life and for how thoughtful Jen was.  This blog does not fully express how touched I was by her effort to go out of her way to plan a surprise for me.  Anytime I feel down or lonely, I hope to remember this day and remember those people how have shown love and care. 
Matt, Kelli, Angela, Jen, Lydia, myself, Kira


Lydia, Jen, and myself
Another friend of mine Kristi McMurtrey from my most recent single's ward mentioned that we should do dinner with our friends and she would be happy to plan and arrange it.  I was grateful that she was willing to take on the task of arranging it because I honestly didn't have the desire or energy to.  She was so great!  She invited a lot of mutual friends, arranged the dinners plans, and then had everyone over for cake afterward.  Our friend Elisa Barber, who is a phenomenal baker, baked the cake!  It was relish!

My sister Shantell was able to attend this dinner also.  One of our favorite comedians Anjelah Johnson has a skit where she talks about her dad giving her and her siblings the same birthday gift each year:  A box of cereal.  He wraps it in the coupon section of the newspaper so sometimes holes would be missing.  She jokes that her mom would try to make a game out of it, "It's something 'flakes.' Maybe corn flakes.  Maybe rice flakes.  Maybe frosted flakes.  It's a surprise!"  As a joke, my sister wrapped me a box of cereal with only the word "flakes" showing!  I thought it was super clever and hilarious!  She's a funny one!


It was Frosted Flakes...for all you inquiring minds. ;)


The past 2 years, instead of throwing a party for myself, I just take a trip.  2 years ago we did a Mediterranean cruise.  Last year we did a New Orleans trip.  I am doing a trip again this year, but not with the same group of friends from the previous two years, so we decided to do breakfast instead.  Love my travel buddies!
Michele Squires, myself, Lauren Waltman, Lisa Mace, Heather Hamblin, Jane Sheffield
I guess 33 isn't so bad after all.  All the amazing people in my life reminded me once again that I am surrounded by thoughtful, caring people that make life more enriching.  Happiness is found in the service of others and now it is my turn to pay if forward.

No comments: