http://i.imgur.com/lFJfC4i.jpg

Monday, January 23, 2012

2nd Annual Art Therapy party

Sometimes you just need a little therapy, and what better way than to add some art in there.  Let me tell you about my history with art therapy.  Several years back when I lived in Provo, there was a small group of us who would get together and have art therapy parties.  My friend Kira was the inspiration behind the events.  She had all the supplies and we would all go over to her apartment and paint, draw, color, whatever we felt like.  After we were done, we would pass our picture to someone else, and they had to describe what emotions we were feeling while we drew it.  It was of course all for fun and not true, but it started a beautiful activity that would prove to be very popular.  One time, we even tye dyed articles of clothing for art therapy.  I still proudly sport my white spandex pants that I tye dyed.  

So I decided to throw my own art therapy party.  Last year was the first attempt.  It attracted a very small group, but we had a good time.  I still have the canvases hanging on my wall.  This year, I decided to throw another one.  I had very low expectations, but the night proved to be a huge success.  











I decided to paint a picture of a pumpkin for my friend and co-worker Lydia because she calls me pumpkin.  Well, due to not being an artist by nature, it's only natural that I wanted the 2nd opinion of someone who knows what they are doing.  I asked my friend Lauren for her advice.  "Lauren, what do you think of my pumpkin?"  Lauren replies, "Well you  need to add some lines so it looks more real."  I think that's a great idea so proceed to draw lines down the pumpkin.  Proud of my work, I turn to Lauren, "How does this look?"  Lauren's face scrunches with concern, "well your lines are a little harsh. You need to blend more."  "What do you mean 'blend more?'  How do I blend?  I don't know what I'm doing."  Lauren patiently tries to tell me how to blend.  She turns to my other friend Kristi who is sitting right next to and says, "See, like hers.  She's blending."  Kristi, letting this statement immediately go to her head, says, "Yes, like me.  You can always look to me when you need an example of what to do and how to be."  I roll my eyes and finally allow my frustration to surface as I loudly respond, "I don't know how to not be harsh.  Harsh is all I know!"  So, as you can see below, Lydia got her pumpkin canvas, harsh lines and all.




I was pleasantly surprised with how many people showed up, and not only was there a full house, but most people actually wanted to paint!  I anticipated that people would swing by to say hi but not really want to participate in painting.  Boy was I wrong!  I've learned that it's super easy to host a party where people have an activity to do.  They just kinda take care of themselves.

















We never got to the point where we traded paintings and talked about feelings, but I still consider the party a success.  The annual art therapy party might have to be renamed to the semi-annual art therapy party!

No comments: