http://i.imgur.com/lFJfC4i.jpg

Monday, April 22, 2019

Caribbean Cruise 2018

This year I started to make a bucket list of 100 things I want to do before I die.  On that bucket list is: Throw a message in a bottle into the ocean.  Piper and I decided that it was time to make that bucket list item come true.  We planned a Caribbean cruise.  The cruise aspect sounded nice, too.

We went to the grocery store and bought the cheapest bottle of wine so we could dump it out and use it as the vessel for our messages.  Before throwing it out, I offered the wine to several co workers, but I don't think my proposal of, "Do you want my $2 bottle of Pinot Grigio?" was very enticing.  I wrote my message the night before we left, so nothing could potentially interfere with my plan.  Piper decided to write her message on the cruise ship.





Our cruise ported out of Houston Texas, so we flew a couple days earlier to spend time with her Brother and his family while we were in town.  Piper was so excited when she learned a local Walmart had police officers who rode horses.  Piper LOVES horses!



We also visited NASA while we were there, which was very cool.



I have worked at Discover Card for 8 years, which is a call center, and I cannot tell you how many times coworkers email me saying they found the place I need to live:  Holly Hall St in Houston Texas.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit my future residence and snap a pic.



Our time in Houston came to an end, and it was time to board the ship.  I was excited to get out of the Houston humidity.  It was brutal.

Our first night on the ship, we went to dinner and our assigned table was with a couple named Tony and Daisy.  It was a table that seated four.  We all tried to strike up conversation to make the dinner the least amount of awkward possible.  A table of four is pretty intimate, and these were complete strangers.  I thought the conversation was going pretty well, despite some of the awkward conversations.  For example, it was obvious they were trying to figure out mine and Piper's relationship...."So....how did you two meet?" as they look at us like they're trying to figure us out.  We reply, "At church."  Now they're probably thinking we are religious lesbians.  We quickly move on to other conversation.  At one point Daisy made a comment about how they need to wait until we are further at sea to order the alcohol she really wanted.  Something about international waters and different laws.  I'm not sure, but Tony made a comment about how they wanted to bring that alcohol on the boat but they weren't able to.  Piper casually says, "oh I was able to bring alcohol onto the boat."  They asked how.  We told them we were running late, so we went through a rushed security check and nobody checked our bags and we didn't know we were supposed to disclose we had alcohol.  Piper then says, "But we don't drink, so we are just going to dump it out..."  you can imagine the look of confusion on their faces as they were trying to process our weird story.  I don't know why, but I was so paranoid that we would get in trouble for throwing bottles overboard that I didn't want anyone to know what we were doing, so I quickly change the subject, so they don't have time to ask any questions and we don't have to explain why on earth we would bring alcohol onto the ship just to dump it out.  As you can image, Tony and Daisy probably thought we were very odd.  Needless to say, they never returned to eat with us for the rest of the cruise.  They must have requested a table change.  We weren't complaining.  We now had a table all to ourselves.

First stop was Cozumel and swimming with dolphins.  I had done it once before on a cruise with my sisters and mom, but Piper never had, and it is totally worth doing again!













Next stop was Grand Cayman and swimming with the Sting Rays.  I was very surprised at this experience.  I had envisioned in my mind that they would be in captivity somehow, but that was definitely not the case.  We took a catamaran far away from shore until there was a sand bank that had several boats backed into it, and there were wild string rays everywhere.  Our guides were very experienced and got a sting ray for us to touch.





We even got some kisses.



Even though it was obvious the Sting Rays were used to people, it is still a very sobering thought that they are swimming freely all around you, and could quite possibly kill you if stung in the right place. Piper was very freaked out.   At one point, I was standing and waiting for our turn to hold them, when I felt someone jump onto my back.  I look over my should and see Piper clinging on to me for dear life with her legs wrapped around my waist.  I couldn't help but laugh.  Thankfully, we did not get stung, but the following photos of Piper freaking out make me laugh...







Next up we went to a shore that had a bunch of starfish.  It was really pretty and neat to hold them.




Our third and final destination was Jamaica.  We had arranged a horse riding excursion.  As you can imagine, Piper was on cloud 9.   She made me memorize our horses names, and call them by name, but sadly I have forgotten and cannot include them in this blog.  



We even got to ride them into the ocean, which was super cool!  The guides could tell Piper was an old pro so they let her hold her own reigns....




But as you can see, I am being guided....




After the horses, we went on river tubing ride.  It started off at a small but cute waterfall that we swam in.


Then our guide floated with us and basically did all the work to get us downstream.  It was a gentle ride but very relaxing and serene.




Jamaica was the furthest we were going to get from America, so we decided that it was time to throw our messages in a bottle overboard.  Piper emptied her bottle (that Tony and Daisy didn't want) and we crafted her message.  Mine was more serious, but we decided to have some jovial fun with hers.  Hopefully some poor foreigner doesn't find it and really hopes for life-changing treasures...



We threw them overboard and enjoyed the beautiful view.  Don't worry, we were very careful to make sure nobody saw.  As mentioned earlier, I was VERY paranoid of getting in trouble.


Our last day at sea was pure relaxation and laying by the pool.  The ship did have a Flow-rider where you could try to boogie board and surf.  Piper and I both tried boogie boarding.  Surfing was on my bucket list, so I had to take the opportunity to try.  I tried several times and got a little better each time.  It is definitely not easy.  They tell you to wear a one piece swimsuit that won't come off because the current is strong.  I figured my one piece would be just fine, until one fall sent me up to the top of the pool, and as I got up I noticed a little more white down near my swimsuit.  I was too busy trying to balance myself and stand up despite the current, that all my focus and effort was on that.  It wasn't until I saw two guys standing by the railing who were awkwardly avoiding eye contact with me that I realized one of my boobs had popped out. I popped it back in, smiled and laughed and said, "sorry" as I kept walking by.  What can you do...Just laugh it off and move on, so that's what I did.  Poor guys. LOL



No comments: