http://i.imgur.com/lFJfC4i.jpg

Monday, September 12, 2011

Jackson Hole

My church ward decided to take us to Jackson Hole for some camping and river rafting. We woke up Saturday morning and we were on the road by 7 AM...okay, 7:30 AM. Who were we kidding? That's dang early!! After 3+ hours of driving and me telling Julia, "You're not allowed to read so you can keep me awake," we arrived in Jackson Hole. Before we got on the raft, Stephanie tried to keep us hydrated...because hydration is key.

And Julia had a little accident with her pen. Good thing she would fall out of the raft several times so the ink could wash off.

We tried to put on our brave faces before the "lunch counter" or "mother-in-law" could get us!

After a fairly lengthy tutorial on rafting safety, we were ready to go! "Never stop rowing!" This would come into play many times as the left side (the cool side) and the right side would try to place blame on the other for falling behind.

At one point, a couple of us stood at the top of the raft to see how good our balance was. Well, I didn't even make it to full stand up position before my foot slipped and gave Stephanie a wake up call to her crotch (am I allowed to say that?) I feel pretty bad but can't help laughing. Hence, the hand to the mouth trying to cover my laugh.

I finally made it on top of the raft. Can you see everyone looking at me and just wondering when I will fall. Notice Robert (the guy to the front left) had his legs clenched tightly together. He wasn't going to take any chances.

You can't tell very well, but at this point, everyone was rowing in a way that makes the raft turn in circles. Notice my center of gravity is slightly lower this picture.

And I'm wet because I finally fell in. Posing with Jordin and Stephanie. How's your crotch feeling, Steph?

Julia, some girl I don't remember, Hiedi, Kevin, and Todd also posed for a picture.

We survived the river rafting, with only 3/4 of our raft falling in at one point, including our guide, Kevin. That lunch counter is brutal. I wish I could post the pictures taken by the companies who take your picture over the rapids, but I'm too frugal.

The rest of the trip was good. We had a barbeque, sat around the campfire and talked. Julia and I tried to share a twin air mattress for the 2nd year in a row, this time not as successful for me. We went to Jenny lake the following morning and hiked to Inspiration point. Don't we look inspired?

Yeah, probably not! Because we never actually made it to Inspiration point. We didn't have enough time before we had to turn around and make it back to SLC. This is what "almost made it to inspiration point" looks like:

We even took the ferre back to save on time. Julia, myself, and Aubrei posing for a picture.

We made it home safely and with only minimal battle wounds. What's not to love about Jackson Hole!!

1 comment:

Abby said...

River rafting! Scary. There is a reason I avoid nature at all costs.